• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI. Engine shut off while driving 50mph?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
This has never happened to me before and lucky it was close to home. Driving normal speed down the road and without warning the engine just quit I mean completely shut off. Key still on and still in drive on tranny. I coasted to a stop all on manual and safely stopped. Turned the key off put it back in park and tried to start it but it won't start. It stutters and acts like it wants to start but it won't. No codes are set. I looked at belts and they are good and fluids are good.

Any ideas?

FakjrfA.gif

I had a 2001 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L engine that was VERY finicky with engine/battery voltage.
Over the years it died twice while sitting in my driveway, while running. Both times the battery was in the process of dying, and when it hit a certain voltage, the ECM shut it all down.

It was a good way to tell that I needed to change the battery every 4-5 years. Luckily, it was while I was in my own driveway.

Do a good battery test before you spend a lot of money on other things.

Jerry

How empty was it when you filled it up? I have a 2004 that will do something similar at idle or in parking lots if I run it dry and then refill it. Seems like that stirs up sediment or crap from the bottom of the tank.

I had my wife get in a turn the key while I had my ear on the tank and I don't here the pump whirring. I banged on the tank and still nothing. She turned the key to on and then tried to crank but no sound from the tank. Fuel relay or the pump I guess.

I had a 93 6cyl Toyota 4x4 and in 97 my wife got rear ended on a Friday. No body damage just got the bumper. Any coming home from work running 60 it just cut off. Was the fuel pump. Dealer said it was from the accident.

Back
Top Bottom