• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2004 Chevy Duramax LB7

I personally would take a chance at that price. Hell, if all goes to s**t you can sell for salvage and dang near recoup your money.

That’s my thoughts to but I do want to pay a good diesel mechanic familiar with Duramax motors to go through it to check for any major issues before I nickel and dime myself to death fixing the small stuff. I don’t mind investing in it but if it’s going to take 10k-15k to get road worthy daily I’d rather pass or at least know going into it so I can salvage my money back

That’s my thoughts to but I do want to pay a good diesel mechanic familiar with Duramax motors to go through it to check for any major issues before I nickel and dime myself to death fixing the small stuff. I don’t mind investing in it but if it’s going to take 10k-15k to get road worthy daily I’d rather pass or at least know going into it so I can salvage my money back
I agree. If you buy for 5k and do the minimum to get it moving you will learn a lot in just a few hundred miles. As always…my 02.

Summers auto repair in Calhoun has two top notch diesel mechanics. IBoth are very knowledgeable about all generations of Duramax diesels. They are on Hwy 41 between Adairsville and Calhoun. 1401 US-41, Calhoun, GA 30701. Phone: 706/629/3102

one other huge plus you may not be aware of. The Duramax is designed and built by Isuzu, the tops in diesel.

For a $5k duramax that's a quad cab 4x4 I'd jump all over it. Hell at worst it's worth more than that in parts alone even if you never got all the gremlins fixed. But even if you need to put $5-6k in it, you got a nice Duramax for $11-12k. You can't find a good running truck like that, for that price anywhere right now.

Shake down the front end. Ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm assembly, wheel bearings, sway bar end links... Every one that comes in the shop has at least one of those parts wore out, unless recently replaced. Also, take a look at the transfer case. They are known for rubbing a hole through the case. Good luck!

Update:

Bought the truck leaking power steering fluid and coolant but does crank and drive. Looking for a shop to hook it up to a scanner to check it out good before tossing money at it

B03F291B-2EF8-4AE2-90F4-B62FD95AD68B.jpeg
00892FD1-2536-41D9-8195-13B2FED78026.jpeg

Great deal! The PS lines are notorious for leaking. Cheap fix. It looks like it had been taken care of previously.

It’s rougher than the photos show but as long as the engine is good I should be able to get it good to go pretty easy.

I’ve already looked into upgraded pw steering lines and a better pump while I’m messing with it :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom