• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2-Way Radios and SHTF

Is there a place for 2-way radios in case SHTF?
Yes

If you think so, what would they be used for?
Communication when cell networks are down. (I experienced this first hand in 2014 during snowpocalypse.)

Who are you planning on communicating with - the person on the other side of the communications will need a compatible radio with similar frequency bands, etc.
Again, up to you. For me, it's family and friends who have logistical needs and supplies. In the case of 2014, it was a random stranger who helped make contact with my family over land line, relaying the traffic for me.

If you don't mind me asking, were you using repeaters or HF? I assume the internet was also down around your house. How did you make contact with the person who was willing to pass on your communications?

I am quite the novice and hope you don't mind the basic questions.

If you don't mind me asking, were you using repeaters or HF? I assume the internet was also down around your house. How did you make contact with the person who was willing to pass on your communications?

I am quite the novice and hope you don't mind the basic questions.

There was a lot of simplex traffic on 146.520, and found someone who was happy to relay over land line since the cell networks were jammed.

I only have one question...... Why in a shtf situation would anyone worry about having a ham license? Gummit already screwed up.
There’s a pretty steep learning curve to figure out the best ways to make the radios and antennas work for you. The lower the frequency the steeper the curve. It takes a fair bit of practice to be able to use them to one’s best advantage. That usually means doing it when it’s not a SHTF scenario so that when it is, you’re not learning how to tune your radio and wire antenna to make contact at a certain frequency under pressure.

So if you’re planning on practicing with your gear, doing so legally is the more prudent path to follow.

There’s a pretty steep learning curve to figure out the best ways to make the radios and antennas work for you. The lower the frequency the steeper the curve. It takes a fair bit of practice to be able to use them to one’s best advantage. That usually means doing it when it’s not a SHTF scenario so that when it is, you’re not learning how to tune your radio and wire antenna to make contact at a certain frequency under pressure.

So if you’re planning on practicing with your gear, doing so legally is the more prudent path to follow.

EDIT: I re-read your post, and you are correct, you would not want to learn this in the middle of an emergency. I'll leave the remainder of my post up for information sake.
---

I'd argue that the learning curve isn't that steep. A inverted-v wire antenna can be made pretty simply and cut to match 40 meters. You don't need a lot of height at the center point, and this will give you pretty reliable communication within 300 miles or so.

Here's a great write up on the topic. http://w4cae.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/40M-NVIS-Antenna-1.pdf

Back
Top Bottom