• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2-Way Radios and SHTF

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
Is there a place for 2-way radios in case SHTF?

If you think so, what would they be used for?

Are you talking about hand held units that can be purchased at Walmart and used with no license?

Or are you talking about handhelds that require either a GMRS or Ham license to operate or a mobile or even base station?

What distance do you want to communicate?

Who are you planning on communicating with - the person on the other side of the communications will need a compatible radio with similar frequency bands, etc.

I can see where a group of people who had banned together and in relatively close proximity could make use of handhelds.

But what else?

Is there a place for 2-way radios in case SHTF?
Yes

If you think so, what would they be used for?
Communication when cell networks are down. (I experienced this first hand in 2014 during snowpocalypse.)

Are you talking about hand held units that can be purchased at Walmart and used with no license?
They have their place, but most are throwaway junk and will get you 200 yards.

Or are you talking about handhelds that require either a GMRS or Ham license to operate or a mobile or even base station?
GMRS and ham radios would be preferable. Better range, better quality (assuming not Chicom crap). Also repeaters are available on both services. I am licensed for both, but fwiw, if SHTF, licenses don't matter any longer.

HF on ham is going to open up much further distance communication.

What distance do you want to communicate?
This is up to you. I have family in FL, SC, and TN, and can reliably communicate with all of them on HF ham bands.

Who are you planning on communicating with - the person on the other side of the communications will need a compatible radio with similar frequency bands, etc.
Again, up to you. For me, it's family and friends who have logistical needs and supplies. In the case of 2014, it was a random stranger who helped make contact with my family over land line, relaying the traffic for me.

^^^^^^excellent points.

Also just being able to scan the dial and listen (I’m a ham and that’s what I do 95% of the time) could provide valuable information. Many ARES and ARRL groups that kick into action when there is an emergency or the potential for disaster. Having HF VHF, UHF along with a regular SW/AM/FM radio could be the difference between life and death in a true SHTF situation.

Got my license this year, bought one of the better handheld radios and was very disappointed in the limited range. If SHTF and the repeaters and internet go down, you're SOL with just a handheld unless you have some neighbors into amateur radio.

Got my license this year, bought one of the better handheld radios and was very disappointed in the limited range. If SHTF and the repeaters and internet go down, you're SOL with just a handheld unless you have some neighbors into amateur radio.
Antennas make all the difference. You’d be amazed what you could do hooking up a cheap magnetic mount antenna attached to a pizza pan and that radio.

I used to have a variety of CB channel family radio service channel and even some business channel walkie-talkies just to loan to friends when traveling together, on the road or in the outdoors.

I found that the range is ridiculously limited,
maybe half a mile for the business channels, 500 yards for CB walkies,
and 200 yards for FRS.

I also realized that without training many of my friends and family members simply weren't capable of operating a radio with just a few minutes worth of instruction. They'd forget what buttons and knobs controlled which features.
Some of them would just forget where to push to talk, or forget they had to release the transmitter button to receive.

Antennas make all the difference. You’d be amazed what you could do hooking up a cheap magnetic mount antenna attached to a pizza pan and that radio.
I need to give that a try. I've been terribly disappointed with my HAM experience so far. I can talk to anyone in the world on DMR but that was not what I was thinking when I decided to get a license. If SHTF, I don't expect the internet to keep running. It seems like almost no one around here is talking on RF. Digital and old telephones seem to be the rage. (old telephones, not kidding. ref: "hamshack hotline") Going to the local club meeting tomorrow night but don't see that continuing for much longer.

I bought the cheap baofeng as a just in case. No plans to get license would only use it shtf, if then. I couldn't figure out how to program it. Gave it to a ham, he couldn't do it either so he passed it to a radio pro to see if they could. He said he has one just like it. It's not programmed yet either. So it's the old President Zachary T. CB.

I need to give that a try. I've been terribly disappointed with my HAM experience so far. I can talk to anyone in the world on DMR but that was not what I was thinking when I decided to get a license. If SHTF, I don't expect the internet to keep running. It seems like almost no one around here is talking on RF. Digital and old telephones seem to be the rage. (old telephones, not kidding. ref: "hamshack hotline") Going to the local club meeting tomorrow night but don't see that continuing for much longer.

did you get the Tech or General license?

I’ve been disappointed in the amount of traffic on the 2m band, both simplex and on repeaters. I still participate in a couple of local nets and hang out on 40 and 20m.

The community is small and divisive, more so than the gun community if you can believe that. The trick is to decide what sort of comms you’re looking for and focus on that aspect. I would recommend participating on local nets just to get a handle on etiquette and building competence.

ETA:
I have a mag mount for my HT. If you’re in the NE Ga area I’d be happy to let you give my setup a try with your radio.

I bought the cheap baofeng as a just in case. No plans to get license would only use it shtf, if then. I couldn't figure out how to program it. Gave it to a ham, he couldn't do it either so he passed it to a radio pro to see if they could. He said he has one just like it. It's not programmed yet either. So it's the old President Zachary T. CB.

They aren’t really as hard to program as people make out. I have a FP-8HP with all the weather stations and 67 repeaters programmed, including offsets and tones.

Back
Top Bottom