2 Cycle Engine Repair Assistance Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
If this is in the incorrect forum, please move.

Attention 2 cycle geniuses:

I have a Ryobi model SS30[RY30542] 2 cycle weedeater that has been very dependable for over 7 years, but recently would not crank. After browsing the owner's manual and youtube for guidance and watching many troubleshooting videos without success, I turned to my neighbor who is a retired airline mechanic, who has assisted me several times in the past with chainsaws and blowers. No success. The engine will not even attempt to fire even for a second. There is fuel, compression and spark. There is a brand new ignition module and spark plug. The fuel mixture is correct and fresh, the fuel lines are fine, the fuel filter is fine, fuel is flowing into and back out of the primer bulb. We even used starter fluid behind the air filter directly into the carburetor to bypass everything listed above. No success. My neighbor is dumbfounded and I am disappointed. What else can possible be wrong ? This cannot be brain surgery. Please withhold negative comments about Ryobi and "should have bought a Stihl or Husqvarna". I am happy to have the Ryobi and do not believe it is time to play taps for it. Thanks.

I’d take another look at the spark. Under the magneto, or flywheel(I think that’s what it’s called) there should be a coil. I’ll bet that’s causing an intermittent spark. Also look at the kill switch. It’s just a ground but that may be closed. Take the 2 wires and put them together and try it. I’d do that first before the coil.

I’d take another look at the spark. Under the magneto, or flywheel(I think that’s what it’s called) there should be a coil. I’ll bet that’s causing an intermittent spark. Also look at the kill switch. It’s just a ground but that may be closed. Take the 2 wires and put them together and try it. I’d do that first before the coil.
I really appreciate the response and ideas. I will definitely try beginning with the kill switch. I like challenges, but this one has me stumped.

Starter fluid will turn the metering diaphragm stiff and will fail from the use of starter fluid. jfyi.
From what you have stated. The first think I would check is the seals on the crankshaft. Block the exhaust and spark plug hole put some soapy water on the seal and blow in the intake. Check for bubbles. On a 2 cycle engine the fuel and air mixture goes into the crankcase before being transferred up to the combustion chamber. If the seals are bad the air fuel mixture will leak out the seals as the piston is on the downward stroke.

Starter fluid will turn the metering diaphragm stiff and will fail from the use of starter fluid. jfyi.
From what you have stated. The first think I would check is the seals on the crankshaft. Block the exhaust and spark plug hole put some soapy water on the seal and blow in the intake. Check for bubbles. On a 2 cycle engine the fuel and air mixture goes into the crankcase before being transferred up to the combustion chamber. If the seals are bad the air fuel mixture will leak out the seals as the piston is on the downward stroke.
Wow this is great info. Above my pay grade, but not above my neighbor's. I have had several great ideas and will get with my neighbor and try them all in the order suggested. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom