• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1911 grips w/o ambi cut... wood and plastic. Should I try and cut it?

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
I have an ambi-safety 1911... the grips I ordered sadly, are not. I'm pretty sure I can easily sell the grips... but I really like them.

Should I attempt to dremel away parts to fit for the ambi safety?? I still have the stock grips to use as a guide.

Or should I just nut up and sell them, then buy a set with ambi precut?

I had the same situation. Saw a set of grips I had to have and they did not have the ambi cut. I used a set that did as a guide and I dremeled them out. They fit perfectly and the gun performs without issue.

If you take a little off the grip at the time you will be OK dont butcher them up and resale wont be that impossible if you decide to sell

I had the same situation with an extended slide release lever on a 1911. Take your time, just a little material at the time. And re-check the fit. Take is slowly and you'll do fine.

One piece of advice is to work from the "inside-out". That is, remove material that is closest to the frame, first. That way you will distort the outward appearance the least amount.

Good luck and post up some pics of your handi-work!

I guess I'll do it myself :-) I'm pretty handy with dremel... just wasn't sure of the difficulty.

I'll post up pictures once it's done.

Resell value never mattered to me :-)

Back
Top Bottom