• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Experts Needed

joeldworkin307

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
250   0
Reaction score
I picked up a 1911 recently and was hoping to get some info about it. What I know at this point is that it's a Remington Rand Type 2 slide, unmarked barrel, has a welded sight rib and rear target sight, and an older Essex steel frame with a welded safety toggle. Anybody know who might have done this kind of work? Was it somebody's attempt at a "Just As Good" National Match? Or just a project gun for target shooting?

PXL_20211205_140113659.jpgPXL_20211205_140123536.MP.jpgPXL_20211205_140210648.MP.jpgPXL_20211205_140215610.jpgPXL_20211205_140229151.jpgPXL_20211205_140142244.MP.jpgPXL_20211205_140200198.jpg

Lots of guys were doing similar work at the start of competition matches and surplus 1911s weren’t valuable. Sold for like $6 in hardware stores.

that strikes me as a bomar set up but others will be along to correct it I’m sure. Adjustable rear wedged into the slide (instead of cut into it like we do now) means the front sight had to be jacked up to make up for it.

Look into Jim Clark, early Clark Customs. Remove the wrap around grip and see if the front strap is hand checkered...A LOT of guns were set up for "bowling pin" matches, and Clarks did well...

Interesting ejection port profile. The rib looks like it is probably soldered on, looks like they did not get a good profile fit from the front view. No professional would have done work like that. Looks like someone’s home workshop attempt at a match gun. If the port profile doesn’t bounce cartridges off your face, you can tune the extractor tension properly and get a decent recoil spring match to your ammo it may be a good shooter.

Interesting ejection port profile. The rib looks like it is probably soldered on, looks like they did not get a good profile fit from the front view. No professional would have done work like that. Looks like someone’s home workshop attempt at a match gun. If the port profile doesn’t bounce cartridges off your face, you can tune the extractor tension properly and get a decent recoil spring match to your ammo it may be a good shooter.
It is. The rib and safety are pretty likely silver soldered, but they look decent. The rib is evenly on, just lost some finish on the front. The safety looks a little more rushed. Neither one is going anywhere.

Yep old school from the 70s most likely. Essex frames were about all you could get as an aftermarket frame. Micro rear sight. Real key to being a match pistol would be to pull the barrel and check the barrel hood and lower lugs for being welded. Very common method for improving stock barrels in those days.

Back
Top Bottom