• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1903A4 Drill Rifle Recovery

I'm pretty stoked as my rings showed up yesterday, which allowed me to get everything refinished today. I think I nailed the color this time on the parts that were supposed to be parked - I compared it to an unmolested bayonet band and it's about spot-on. I baked the barreled action at a higher temp and for longer duration than I did the scope base and rings. I wanted that tinge of green to the barreled action and the optics accessories to not have that tinge.

50398834866_faf8b51c2d_b.jpg

50398995262_4b32a37bc2_b.jpg

I put everything together and it went together with no issues. I need to get a few coats of oil on the handguard though as it's a touch lighter than the stock. Again, the scant stock isn't correct for this particular build date, but it's what I have on hand and will do for now. I've got the scope mounted up, but fully anticipate having to take it apart and add a shim to the front of the mount - they almost always required them. Initial windage is set with the large screws on other side of the rear scope ring.

The overall cost into this rifle is just under $600, that included optics, mounts, everything. Not bad for a legit 1903A4 right?

50398154153_e112d088c1_b.jpg

50399007557_c3d1ed5559_b.jpg

50399009407_c8f21bfc41_b.jpg
I Love It .

L Lawdog734 are those Unertl scopes ?

Cool thread, thanks for the posts. Enjoying it very much

The USMC 1941 Sniper build is a Unertl. The correct Unertl has the 1.25" objective and is 8x. This scope is 1.5" Unertl - same scope, different objective housing. It seems that anyone who has a 1.25" Unertl for sale thinks that they have an actual USMC scope and prices it accordingly, regardless of magnification. So the 1.5" Unertl is a place holder until the right deal comes along.

The USMC 1903-A5 scope is a Winchester A5 scope. The Marines used this scope with their standard #2 adjustments, but initially had the scopes modified with the Neidner-Mann adjustments and mounts like I have. The Marines used these until hysteria with anyone German during WW1 got Mr Neidner in some trouble, so they switched to the standard Winchester mounts and adjustments after that.

The 1903A4 has a Weaver 330S (silent) scope on it. The Weaver 330 scope is the original scope selected by the military for the 1903A4, but selected the 330C (click) model. To my knowledge, the 330S was never used by the military. I'm going to convert this scope over to the 330C model at some point, I've got the parts, just gotta find the balls to dig into the scope. Also correct, but post WW2 would be a Lyman Alaskan (Korean War) or even the M84 (post Korean war)

The USMC 1941 Sniper build is a Unertl. The correct Unertl has the 1.25" objective and is 8x. This scope is 1.5" Unertl - same scope, different objective housing. It seems that anyone who has a 1.25" Unertl for sale thinks that they have an actual USMC scope and prices it accordingly, regardless of magnification. So the 1.5" Unertl is a place holder until the right deal comes along.

The USMC 1903-A5 scope is a Winchester A5 scope. The Marines used this scope with their standard #2 adjustments, but initially had the scopes modified with the Neidner-Mann adjustments and mounts like I have. The Marines used these until hysteria with anyone German during WW1 got Mr Neidner in some trouble, so they switched to the standard Winchester mounts and adjustments after that.

The 1903A4 has a Weaver 330S (silent) scope on it. The Weaver 330 scope is the original scope selected by the military for the 1903A4, but selected the 330C (click) model. To my knowledge, the 330S was never used by the military. I'm going to convert this scope over to the 330C model at some point, I've got the parts, just gotta find the balls to dig into the scope. Also correct, but post WW2 would be a Lyman Alaskan (Korean War) or even the M84 (post Korean war)

you are full of knowledge, there are a few of yall on here that know their stuff then the rest are actors.
Me ? I just ask dumb questions at the most improper time. Lol. J/k.

Thanks for all the good info! You inspired me to give this a shot. For anyone wanting to tackle one of these; Sarco has a kit with most of the parts you will need (except the barrel). https://www.sarcoinc.com/springfield-cmp-drill-rifle-repair-kit/
They sent me a flaming bomb marked bolt. Not sure of the manufacturer. Waiting on Criterion to get their 308 barrels back in stock. Definitely going to order some Moly Resin. But here is the progress so far.

Thanks for all the good info! You inspired me to give this a shot. For anyone wanting to tackle one of these; Sarco has a kit with most of the parts you will need (except the barrel). https://www.sarcoinc.com/springfield-cmp-drill-rifle-repair-kit/
They sent me a flaming bomb marked bolt. Not sure of the manufacturer. Waiting on Criterion to get their 308 barrels back in stock. Definitely going to order some Moly Resin. But here is the progress so far.

That looks great! Pull the bolt and check on the underside of the bolt handle or on all angles of the safety lug (the lug midway down the bolt body). There should be a code on it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom