• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

150gr 9mm load

Adam5

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
144   1
Reaction score
I’m working on load for an oddball 9mm weight with extremely little available data. I’m looking at known data for a similar bullet design and extrapolating the math. I will be loading 150gr Brass Monkey flat nose bullets. They are a polymer coated lead, which is similar to Acme’s power coated lead. I’m looking at Hodgdon’s data for Acme 135gr and 145gr, seeing how much the charge drops for the 10gr heavier bullet, and taking half off again to go from a 145gr to 150gr bullet.

Looking at powders that I have, they show the following Acme 135 gr loads for CFE-P, Titegroup, and W244:
CFE-P starting charge of 4.2gr and a max of 4.8gr
Titegroup staring charge of 3.3gr and a max of 3.8gr
W244 starting charge of 3.6 and a max of 4.1gr

They show the following Acme 145gr loads:
CFE-P starting charge of 3.6gr and a max of 4.3gr
Titegroup staring charge of 2.9gr and a max of 3.4gr
W244 starting charge of 3.0gr and a max of 3.6gr

If I extrapolate the math to 150gr bullet, I get the following:
CFE-P starting charge of 3.3gr and a max of 4.0gr
Titegroup staring charge of 2.7gr and a max of 3.2gr
W244 starting charge of 2.7gr and a max of 3.3

Does my math appear to correct?

I’m leaning towards W244 at around 3.1gr as I prefer loads that are on the higher side of midrange.

I'm not saying you should do this but I would. Call them 147 gr and be done with all that math.
At least as a baseline that’s solid advice. The added weight and velocity loss usually offset for “power factor” with bullets that close in weight.

Adam.. also bear in mind that load data is based on a barrel that’s “x” inches in length and is unlikely to exactly match your particular firearms.

Start low and work it up on the chronograph to your desired velocity range and just keep an eye out for pressure signs on the primers.

Personally not a fan of Titegroup, as the pressure curve is pretty steep on faster burning powders like that. Not to mention the relative ease that a double charge of such powders could easier be overlooked.

I’ve loaded CFE-P up in the 6.8-7.0grain range for 9mm major. No issues even with range pickup brass.

Hodgdon tests with a 4.0”. I’ll be running them in 3, 3 1/2, and. 4 1/4.
I’m leaning the W244, which I haven’t used yet, but is very similar to the W231 that I use a lot.

Hodgdon tests with a 4.0”. I’ll be running them in 3, 3 1/2, and. 4 1/4.
I’m leaning the W244, which I haven’t used yet, but is very similar to the W231 that I use a lot.
Load with 147 data and see where it lands ya. I would get too far into the weeds until you’ve got range feedback from the various guns you’re trying to shoot it in.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom