• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

150gr. .224 Projectile

The base of the projectile is solid motel. With no indication of a tracer. After speaking to the guy that I got it from. He has mentioned that this was a experimental round that was made for the military years back. I am dying to shoot one through a chronograph to see what kind of velocity it’s putting out.

Id only shoot it in a barrel I could afford to sacrifice. The powder charge is in the range of a 77 grain load, so I'd at least compare burn rate to something known first. I'd film it with a camera in slow motion so you can quantify how it compares. Unless it's something real slow, like Hodgden trail boss slow, I wouldn't risk it.

So many odd things with that round. the powder is much more dense than any powder I have used based on the quoted weight and volume. Normally a 25 grain charge fills up a 556 case to the shoulder. That bullet is so long it would need around a 1:4 twist rate by guesstimate. That is a super deep crimp for a factory round.

Hello. This is subsonic ammunition. The reason they put cotton is because the powder being used is for PISTOL calibers. Its likely the charge is like 4-8 grains of a pistol powder, or something like this. You have to put the cotton, otherwise the powder is all uneven in the case, and that is terrible. I have this illustrated here:

how many of these bullets you got, I can test it for you if you like out of an AR15 or a Valkyrie.

Also, it doesn't matter if it doesn't stabilize, because a round like this is meant for close range only, quiet kills. In fact, it would be better if this thing was tumbling in the air going 1050 FPS as that would be devastating.

if the powder charge is 24.7 grains, and it has cotton, this doesn't make sense, but anythings possible.

Back
Top Bottom