• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11 year wants to buy a gun

I never said that he should have a 22 semi handgun as his first firearm, as shown in post #9. But by all means, feel free to misrepresent whatever I post. :rolleyes:

Budget 22LR handgun Heritage revolver be a good start.
By time he gets tired of ejecting shells & reloading his
forearms should be well toned and ready for the next tier.

As mentioned, 22 rifle may be better 1st choice.
Many economy choices such as Cricket single shot,
several Savage models, and base Ruger 10/22 carbine.
Synth stock light and fairly short LOP. Later he has
advantage of zillions of aftermarket pieces to 'make
it his own' as they say. Or as he matures add adult size
stock. Another one that looks interesting is the Winchester
Wildcat 22 rifle. Accepts 10/22 magazines. 4 Lbs. $250 msrp
so hopefully real world closer to $200. Here's one short vid,
more to choose from. Stores may not have them yet.
Previous ones he can probably see at Academy might narrow
the field of contenders.

.22 rifle like said many times before if it's actually going to be his firearm. If it's "his gun", get him some cool target pistol.

I would not guess u are going to turn him loose with said firearm unsupervised, disregard all this stuff about not letting him have a handgun. My 10 year old grandson has been shooting handguns since he was 6. He is more safety conscious than many adults I know. If you have trained him properly in safety and properly train him with the functions of what ever firearm you choose. It should not be an issue.
Don't know the dollar amount you are looking to spend. Any ruger revolver or Simi auto with good adjustable sights would be my recommendation. Good luck

If you can swing it why not get him a .22 pistol and a .22 rifle. Possibly a used Marlin 60 or 10/22 and a handgun that fits him. Don’t sweat over semi/revolver etc. just make sure it fits his hands so he can enjoy shooting it safely and accurately instead of wrestling with the grip. Trying to shoot anything that doesn’t fit him may lead to frustration and a wasted purchase. As far as a semi rifle just limit his ammo while he’s learning, mag and tube dumps can come later after he he earns chore money for the 550rd packs.

There's a reason the Ruger 10/22 has sold xx million numbers of rifles.

The best thing about it is that he can 'grow into it'. You can swap for a shorter LOP stock right now, and as he gets older he can customize it for anything he wants to do, from competition shooting to Appleseed to varmint hunting.

Plus, it's a lifetime gun. I still have the one I bought myself as my first rifle from Sears in 1978. He'll probably have it when he retires.

I do agree that you want to install safe gun handling with a rifle. It's not that young kids can't do it, it's that they forget (heck, how many adults do you know that forget the 4 rules on a daily basis?). A long gun is a lot easier to control, and a lot harder for a kid to swing around in the first place.

Let him deal with a rifle for a year or two, and if everything looks good graduate him to a single-action pistol. You can always move on to a semi-auto pistol if they want that too later on. A pistol is an experts gun. If they don't have trigger control and stance mastered, they will only get frustrated with a pistol.

Also, it's much easier to install good marksmanship with a rifle. Things like trigger control and breathing are much easier to isolate on a stable platform like a rifle than with a pistol that's always bouncing around anyway.

BTW, if you want to start out slowly with the 10/22, you can buy 5-round, or even single-round mags for them as well.

Another vote for the Browning Buckmark. Accurate and reliable with a good trigger and much easier to disassemble and assemble than a Ruger. I've found used ones in good condition for less that $200.

Back
Top Bottom