• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11 year wants to buy a gun

Sr22 or m&p22c for simi auto pistol,they have small grips and are easier with small hands. Bearcat is also a nice small revolver.
All 3 were available when my boy was 10, and he loved em all!!

Why? Bolts or singles are safer? :lol: The kid already knows how to shoot.

Knowing "how to shoot" and knowing how to safely handle a firearm are two different things.

I've worked with kids in this range and you just about can't force them to shoot a bolt action, they all want at least a semi-auto and lots of bullets.

I would get him a quality bolt action, which there are a ton of on ODT, and focus on fundamentals. Set him a reasonable goal that when he obtains a certain level of accuracy off hand, you will discuss moving to another gun.

I've got a very nice CZ scout an a old H&R 22lr revolver my now 8 year old has had waiting on him for the last year to go three months without being sent to the school office. When I set down the rules I told him summer break dosen't count. I thought he was never going to get it. I guess theres a plus side to the coronavirus an school being called off for him anyway.

This ^^^ He can learn to care for it, tear it down, clean it, and reassemble it. A Heritage or Mark pistol can be his next "baby step."

Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60 (Remmy haters gonna hate, or find a nice older JM), Henry, S&W 15-22 are all solid starter and lifetime rifles.
Ain't nobody learning to teardown one of those ruger mark series.

Knowing "how to shoot" and knowing how to safely handle a firearm are two different things.

I've worked with kids in this range and you just about can't force them to shoot a bolt action, they all want at least a semi-auto and lots of bullets.

I would get him a quality bolt action, which there are a ton of on ODT, and focus on fundamentals. Set him a reasonable goal that when he obtains a certain level of accuracy off hand, you will discuss moving to another gun.
Sorry I didn't phrase my comment in a manner that was acceptable to you. You're also making an assumption opposite from mine. You're assuming that the kid does not know "how to safely handle a firearm," and I was assuming that he did, based on the OP mentioning experience. The basic point of my post, other than picking on resident counsel, was to buy the boy a rifle first. Now, for whatever reason, you want to get into the minutia of this verses that. So here's an idea. Let the kid choose.

Sorry I didn't phrase my comment in a manner that was acceptable to you. You're also making an assumption opposite from mine. You're assuming that the kid does not know "how to safely handle a firearm," and I was assuming that he did, based on the OP mentioning experience. The basic point of my post...Let the kid choose.

A 16 y/o who had a learners permit for a year and this year just passed the test to get his regular drivers license now "knows how to drive."

But, do you let him choose the car that he will drive for the next year or two? If he wants a high-performance sports car, is that what you get him? (Assume money isn't an issue; safety and encouraging responsible behavior is.)

A semi auto pistol for an 11-year-old is as inappropriate of as choice
as a Corvette for 16-year-old driver.

A kid's first gun should not be what he will be happily using 10 years from now when he's a 21-year-old with tons of experience and maturity.

Back
Top Bottom