• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/18 hunt

Settled in for the evening and wind has finally calmed down. Good luck everybody
20201105_142450.jpg

was out this morning till noon, just me and the squirrels lol. absolutely beautiful morning in the woods though.

i did have a gigantic red fox squirrel with white ears and nose decide to come play next to me and almost hop in my lap (ground hunter) lol. i was debating shooting him for the crock pot lol, but i want a deer instead haha.

I was skunked for the first time this season at that location. I hunted Monday morning and of course yesterday morning I had a shooter 8 on camera at 8:30. Just gotta learn to get on the same page with these bucks but they’re not helping me any

Shot this eight point a few hours ago. Not one of my better shots. In fact, my worst to date.

Went to a stand I haven't sat in so far this year, found it had been damaged enough by the high winds, I couldn't trust it. Happened to have a folding chair nearby, so I just sat in it under the stand. Area is thinned oaks, midway up a ridge.

Saw a couple of does early, but nothing worth shooting. The does come back after a couple of hours. They were about 70 yards away down the hill. Watched them for ten minutes. Wind is in my favor, so they don't know I'm there, despite being plainly visible. In a rush, a buck comes out of the treeline about 30 yards behind them and starts to chase them in my direction. He had a decent rack with a good spread. Stops about 60 yards from me, and the does are now about 30 yards from me. I figure they're gonna figure this out, blow the horn, and the gig will be up. Buck is facing me, presenting the front of his chest. I always wait for the broadside, but had enough gun (30-30 with 170 grain Corelocks) for the range and the poor angle, and didn't think I would get a better shot because the does were so close to me and I had zero concealment.

Took the shot. He went right down. Kicked a little bit for about 20 or 30 seconds and went quiet. Waited another five minutes, walked over to him. Yikes. Head shot. Bullet went in just below and between the eyes, and as best I can tell, toured the inside of his cranium and came back out the upper jaw. Popped one eye out of the socket. A lot of blood on the ground.

Felt bad about the poor shooting. He didn't suffer, but that could have been a disaster. It wasn't buck fever. The entire conversation in my head about the circumstances was clear as a bell, I didn't feel panicked about it. Just felt like I had that one chance and I should take it. Lesson learned.

Image angles taken specifically to spare folks the gore of the eyeball.

IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4861.JPG

Back
Top Bottom