• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/11 Hunt

View attachment 3580799My youngest son got this one this evening on our food plot. I had several pictures of him on camera. Took us about 45 min to find him wasnt bleeding out to much but was dead when we got to him
Nice.
Was it running up hill?
I’ve noticed they don’t bleed much or at all when running up hill even after a heart shot.

I’m thinking you are guessing way too low on score. Very nice deer...tell us the story.

I'm not low on the score. It looks bigger because of the small body. I'm getting it aged and scored tomorrow. This is a young deer. Much younger than I thought when I pulled the trigger. He's no more than 3.5 yo and maybe 2.5. Woulda been an absolute stud at 5.5 or 6.5. He has the genes to be a record for this area. I'm not upset that I took him though. Nobody let's a 12 like that walk on public land. I just wish I could have seen him mature. I'm sure he has some brothers out there so I might see before too long.

I'm not low on the score. It looks bigger because of the small body. I'm getting it aged and scored tomorrow. This is a young deer. Much younger than I thought when I pulled the trigger. He's no more than 3.5 yo and maybe 2.5. Woulda been an absolute stud at 5.5 or 6.5. He has the genes to be a record for this area. I'm not upset that I took him though. Nobody let's a 12 like that walk on public land. I just wish I could have seen him mature. I'm sure he has some brothers out there so I might see before too long.

I was thinking he's an older buck, going down hill with weight loss. But the teeth will tell the story.

I was thinking he's an older buck, going down hill with weight loss. But the teeth will tell the story.

Barely any wear on the teeth. Small neck, small ears. He's a youngin. Only weighed 130. He's the most impressive young buck I've ever seen in person. I would take the shot again knowing what I know now though. I'm not a trophy hunter. I've just been lucky a few times. He would have never made it to 5.5 on public land. It was a good kill in my book.

Barely any wear on the teeth. Small neck, small ears. He's a youngin. Only weighed 130. He's the most impressive young buck I've ever seen in person. I would take the shot again knowing what I know now though. I'm not a trophy hunter. I've just been lucky a few times. He would have never made it to 5.5 on public land. It was a good kill in my book.

Your right, I took a better look. The snout is small, small frame. But there's some good genetics going on there.

Back
Top Bottom