• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1-Year Grid Down Prep

Assuming the grid goes down there for anywhere near a year there will be be a massive population decline(suicides, murders, sickness, disease, etc.) there will be millions of medicine cabinets and pantries to rummage thru

If you want to protect electronic equipment from an EMP, a faraday cage is needed. A faraday cage is basically a container or covering made of electrically conductive material.

Military ammo cans work for small devices.

A galvanized trash can works, but is best when the top has a conductive gasket or the top is tapped along the entire circumference, where the top meets the can, using metallic tape.

A wooden box covered with aluminum foil - top, bottom, and sides works. Use at least 2 layers of foil.

You can also purchase conductive fabric. Some are much better than others. You can make a cover for your car, generator, etc... The cover would need to completely cover the car and be in contact with the ground on all sides.

Another approach to electrical power:

Forget about having long term (more than a month) electricity with great enough capacity to power large loads such as HVAC, refrigerators, space heaters, cooking, etc..

Instead have enough long term capacity to keep batteries charged that are used for radios, cell phones, flashlights, and have enough juice to run must-have medical devices, CPAP, small refrigerator for insulin, etc..

You could do that with a small solar generator with self-contained battery, charger, and inverter. A Jackery portable would probably serve the purpose. Mate that with a couple of solar panels - even the folding kind.

This source of power would be renewable and could be used to charge your other batteries and run your small must-have devices.

Im going to make one out of a trash can and foil tape but I cant think of what all I would put in it to know what size or how many cans to get.
I want an alternator and coil and condenser for my old Jeep, A CB radio, A ham radio. And an emergency AM FM radio in there.
What else ?

I saw the CPAP machine could use 672 watt-hrs for 8 hours of use.

So just for that one load, it would push me in to atleast a 1000 watt-hr system and it would need the ability to recharge fairly rapidly off of solar panels.

That with a few panels is over $1000.

Back
Top Bottom