• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey Challenge

How do y’all want to do it this year?

• Total voters
How’s the hunting been for y’all so far? I’m not gonna lie this has been one of the hardest seasons for me in quite some time. I’ve been on birds about every time but it just seems they have been slipping away. Oh and the miss Monday didn’t help. 😂 I made up for it yesterday though, but even the bird yesterday was tough. He hung up between 75 and 80 yards and I had to roll around the tree I was setup on and army crawl about 10 or 15 yards behind the tree and make soft yelps and scratch in the leaves and crawled back to the tree to get him to come in.
That’s hunting Adam I call it having the monkey on my back,the hardest thing in the world is convince your wife when you on a roll, you got to hammer down because a lull will be looming.it took mine about 10 years to understand. As far as season haven’t been having shots in back Tuesday hopefully I’ll be able to walk a little afterwards.

Since opening weekend It's been awkward for me, birds not really henned up bad but just not really wanting to cooperate real well. I kill more birds from 10-2 than I do any other time and I haven't gotten on a bird gobbling yet mid day. Couple times I spotted one mid day and made a move and they just act kind of uninterested. I plan on getting with it hard this coming week, make it happen somehow.

Last year I didn't kill my 2nd bird till may 15th. I know the majority of the birds I hunt are getting whole lot more pressure than they have in the past which doesn't help.

That’s hunting Adam I call it having the monkey on my back,the hardest thing in the world is convince your wife when you on a roll, you got to hammer down because a lull will be looming.it took mine about 10 years to understand. As far as season haven’t been having shots in back Tuesday hopefully I’ll be able to walk a little afterwards.
You are absolutely right. I was on one this morning and had a dang hen come right in and take him away. Hopefully you will get out there and get you one.
Since opening weekend It's been awkward for me, birds not really henned up bad but just not really wanting to cooperate real well. I kill more birds from 10-2 than I do any other time and I haven't gotten on a bird gobbling yet mid day. Couple times I spotted one mid day and made a move and they just act kind of uninterested. I plan on getting with it hard this coming week, make it happen somehow.

Last year I didn't kill my 2nd bird till may 15th. I know the majority of the birds I hunt are getting whole lot more pressure than they have in the past which doesn't help.
Akward might be a better way to describe my season so far too.

I have had a phenomenal season so far. This comes after a few years of a single bird killed or no bird killed at all to show for my effort. I’ve called in 6 different birds so far and have had 5 of those birds commit.
Having my limit has put me into overdrive to get my Son on a bird. Unfortunately, he missed a solid 3 or 4 year old Tom last week. I have a stud of a Longbeard located that we are about to challenge to a chess match. He’s a smart bird and I have started to figure him out.
Between that bird and a couple frequenting my lease, I feel confident that I can get him on another one before the season is over.

I have had a phenomenal season so far. This comes after a few years of a single bird killed or no bird killed at all to show for my effort. I’ve called in 6 different birds so far and have had 5 of those birds commit.
Having my limit has put me into overdrive to get my Son on a bird. Unfortunately, he missed a solid 3 or 4 year old Tom last week. I have a stud of a Longbeard located that we are about to challenge to a chess match. He’s a smart bird and I have started to figure him out.
Between that bird and a couple frequenting my lease, I feel confident that I can get him on another one before the season is over.
Does this stud bird have some long spurs????? 👀 😂 😂 😆

How’s the hunting been for y’all so far? I’m not gonna lie this has been one of the hardest seasons for me in quite some time. I’ve been on birds about every time but it just seems they have been slipping away. Oh and the miss Monday didn’t help. 😂 I made up for it yesterday though, but even the bird yesterday was tough. He hung up between 75 and 80 yards and I had to roll around the tree I was setup on and army crawl about 10 or 15 yards behind the tree and make soft yelps and scratch in the leaves and crawled back to the tree to get him to come in.

Good season so far. No meat in the freezer to show for it, but this pic alone for me makes it all worthwhile. My boy laid back one morning. He says sometimes he closes his eyes to fine tune his hearing ... I said then you can hear your snores that much better? :) I will take every second of every minute I am blessed to be in the woods with my boy no matter if we kill a Tom or not.

As someone else noted, we have had 2 experiences where I did all the work on a box call only to have a real live hen appear and ol' Tom and she go off into the woods to do their thing. LOL. Twice now.

It is only going to get more challenging for us - it seems every time we go into the woods visibility is half of what it was the time before. Plants are growing and the empty spaces are filling in. We have no fields only hills and valleys covered in hard and soft woods.

20240408_102936.jpg

Back
Top Bottom